Watch up Sanya polluters! Rewards offered to whistleblowing
Sanya recently unveiled plans to offer cash rewards for quality tip-offs by citizens on reporting polluting companies in the city.
The incentive was issued to encourage more civilians to report evidence of illegal acts affecting environment in an intensified effort to protect the island’s natural environment.
Rewards will be given to citizens for reporting illegal activities from enterprises and industries, including the following:
Whistleblowers can receive a reward of up to RMB1000 for reporting
- Outdoor straw burning
- Using highly toxic pesticides for city’s landcape trees and flowers in densely populated areas
- Unlicensed construction projects that cause noise pollution at night
Whistleblowers can receive a reward of RMB5000 for reporting
- Seaside catering enterprises that illegally discharge restaurant waterwaste into the sea
Whistleblowers can receive a reward of RMB10,000 for reporting
- Enterprises who fail to take effective measures following alerts on environmental pollution problems
Whistleblowers can receive a reward of RMB50,000 for reporting
- Enterprises who falsify environmental monitoring data
- Unlicensed hazardous wastes treatment businesses
Whistleblowers can receive a reward of RMB100,000 for reporting
- Causing water pollution in the urban drinking water source areas and natural reserve zones
- Hazardous factories for excessive emissions of heavy metals pollutant than regulations allow
Citizens can report pollution issues by calling the hotline 12369 or 12345, or sending messages to the public WeChat account 12369 Environmental Reporting. Whistleblowers can receive from RMB 1,000 to RMB 100,000 once their tip-offs are confirmed.